Red cabbage is the closest relative of white cabbage. Both the outer and inner leaves are red-purple, of different shades, with a waxy bloom, and this color remains on the cut. This is due to the presence of anthocyanin dye in them. Heads of cabbage are usually small, but very dense, well stored in winter.
Red cabbage surpasses white cabbage in taste and dietary qualities. However, in Russia it has a limited distribution, mainly due to the conservatism of gardeners, ignorance of the peculiarities of its cultivation, and the late maturity of most varieties. In addition, in Russian cuisine, it is used mainly only fresh in salads and side dishes for main courses. And its yield is lower than that of late-ripening varieties of white cabbage.
In the old days, red cabbage was called a magic plant. Its medicinal value lies not in the high content of vitamins and mineral salts, but in the very low content of carbohydrates, due to which it is an indispensable product for all people, especially those with diabetes mellitus. It is also rich in highly active phytoncides, which prevent the development of even tubercle bacillus.
Since ancient times, its juice has been used to treat chronic bronchitis, cough and hoarse voice. It prevents indigestion and constipation, lowers blood pressure, is useful for anemia and increased radiation, atherosclerosis, jaundice, and for wound healing.
Red cabbage is able to maintain a high level of vitamins and biologically active substances during the entire storage period.
Red cabbage is more cold-resistant than white cabbage. Seed germination begins at 2-3 degrees, and young plants tolerate frosts down to minus 6 ° C. It is demanding on the moisture content in the soil, but it tolerates its deficiency more easily than its white-headed relative. Very light-requiring. It is in the light that the coloring matter anthocyanin is formed in it.
In red cabbage, the heads of cabbage are mainly small and medium in size, large heads of cabbage are much less common. The heads of cabbage are very dense. The inner leaves are so close to each other that it is sometimes impossible to separate them.
Popular varieties of red cabbage
Now on sale there is a fairly large selection of varieties and hybrids of red cabbage:
- Vanguard F1 - mid-season variety with a vertical rosette of leaves. The leaves are large, blue-green, with a strong waxy bloom. Heads of cabbage are oval, dense, dark purple on the cut, weighing up to 2.2 kg. Good taste.
- Anthracite F1 - mid-season variety with a vertical rosette of leaves. The leaves are purple, with a waxy bloom of medium intensity, slightly bubbly. Heads of cabbage are dense, purple on the cut, weighing up to 2.3 kg.
- Auto F1 - mid-season, high-yielding Dutch hybrid with a growing season of 130–140 days. Heads of cabbage are dense, weighing up to 1.5 kg, with a light purple color. The hybrid is resistant to cracking, but susceptible to keel.
- Boxer - early ripening variety of cabbage for fresh consumption. The head of cabbage is round, dense, violet-red, weighing 1.6 kg. Leaves with a silvery waxy bloom.
- Vorox F1 - mid-early fruitful hybrid with a ripening period to technical ripeness of 115–120 days. Small rosette with raised leaves. Heads of cabbage are medium, weighing up to 3 kg, dense. Covering leaves with anthocyanin coloration. Good for fresh consumption and processing.
- Gako 741 - a medium late variety with a growing season of 130–150 days. Heads of cabbage are flat-rounded, weighing up to 3 kg, dense, resistant to cracking, have excellent keeping quality. Their bitter taste disappears during storage. The color of the heads of cabbage is gray-violet with a waxy bloom.
- Drumond - early ripening variety of red cabbage. Heads of cabbage are round, weighing 1.5–2 kg. The socket is dense, compact.
- Intro F1 - an early ripe variety with a raised rosette of leaves. The leaves are purple, with a strong waxy bloom, slightly bubbly. Heads of cabbage are loose, purple on the cut, weighing up to 2 kg.
- Kalybos - mid-season variety, tolerates low temperatures well. Heads of cabbage are cone-shaped, purple, they are red-purple when cut, weighing up to 2.5 kg. The variety has good taste, the texture is tender and juicy. Well tolerates lower temperatures and higher precipitation rates
- Stone head 447 - mid-season variety with a growing season of 120–145 days, spreading rosette of leaves, up to 80–85 cm in diameter. Heads of cabbage are round, dense, red-violet, weighing up to 1.5 kg. Ripening of heads of cabbage is not amicable, the yield is average. The variety is not resistant to cracking, keeping quality is average.
- Kissendrup - a medium-early fruitful variety intended for direct fresh consumption and short-term storage. Heads of cabbage are large, dense, with dark red leaves.
- Langedeiker late - late-ripening fruitful variety. Heads of cabbage are large, weighing up to 3 kg, oval, dense, purple, well stored in winter.
- Early Langedeiker - a very early ripening variety for fresh consumption in salads. The rosette of leaves is small. Heads of cabbage weighing 1–1.5 kg, dense, red-violet.
- Summer debut - early ripening variety. Heads of cabbage weighing up to 1.5 kg, purple. The variety tolerates both low and high temperatures well.
- Ludmila F1 - an early ripe variety with a raised rosette of leaves. The leaves are small, purple-green, with a strong waxy bloom. Heads of cabbage are dense, dark purple on the cut, weighing up to 2 kg, excellent taste.
- Maxila - medium late variety of foreign selection of red cabbage. Head of cabbage weight up to 3 kg. Heads of cabbage are dense, rough in autumn, after storage the taste improves. Used from January to March.
- Mars - a medium-late high-yielding variety with a growing season of 140–160 days. Heads of cabbage are round-flat, dense, resistant to cracking, dark purple, much lighter on the cut, medium density, weighing up to 1.5 kg. It is appreciated for its excellent taste.
- Prime F1 - an early ripe hybrid. The rosette of leaves is semi-raised, small. Resistant to cold, disease, cracking. Leaves are dark purple with a waxy bloom. Heads of cabbage are large, dense, weighing up to 3.5 kg. The taste is excellent.
"Ural gardener" No. 43 - 2013