This type of zucchini is gaining increasing popularity among our gardeners. Today in specialized gardening shops and seed departments there is a rich selection of zucchini varieties:
- Ambassador - early ripe, fruitful variety. Bushes are low, medium spreading. Fruits are dark green, almost black, weighing up to 3 kg.
- Aeronaut - early ripe variety, the bushes are low, compact. Fruits are cylindrical, dark green, weighing up to 1.5 kg. The pulp is pale yellow, crispy. The keeping quality of the fruit is good. The variety is fruitful, but demanding on the soil.
- Genovese - early maturing variety with a tall, spreading bush. Fruits are cylindrical, gray-green, weighing up to 0.8 kg.
- Diamond - mid-season fruitful bush variety with a spreading rosette of leaves. Fruits weighing up to 2 kg, with light green, dense pulp.
- Yellow-fruited - an early ripe variety with a medium spreading bush. Fruits are bright yellow, weighing up to 0.9 kg, excellent taste.
- zebra - an early ripe variety with a low, slightly spreading bush. Fruits are cylindrical, slightly ribbed, light green, striped, weighing up to 0.8 kg. The flesh is whitish-yellow, very tender. With good lighting and optimal temperature, fruits can be set without pollination of bees.
- Zolotinka - mid-season variety. Fruits are oval, weighing up to 1.5 kg, golden yellow, with a high content of nutrients. The pulp is yellow-pink, thick, juicy, tender.
- Gold Cup - early ripening cold-resistant fruitful variety with beautiful fruits. Fruits are cylindrical, up to 18 cm long, grow rapidly. 5-b fruits ripen on the bush at the same time, the size of which reaches 16-18 cm when fully ripe. Fruits are tasty both in technical ripeness and during storage. They lie until February, while they become even tastier.
- Kuand - early ripening variety. Bush or semi-bush plant. Fruits are cylindrical, weighing up to 1.2 kg, light green with dark green strokes. The pulp is white, firm, very tasty.
- Mezzo Lungo Bianco - early maturing variety of bush type. Fruits are elongated, light green, with a thin bark.
- Milanese black - mid-season variety with a low spreading bush. Fruits are cylindrical, dark green, weighing up to 2 kg with light green juicy pulp.
- Multi-storey - bush, mid-season, cold-resistant variety. The fruits are located at the root collar of the plant in several rows, as if they lie one on top of another. They are cylindrical in shape, green, with small light dots, with tender and juicy pulp. Hosho fruits are stored, retaining their taste until February-March.
- Negro - an early ripe variety with a compact bush and an abundance of female flowers. Fruits are dark green, weighing up to 0.8 kg, excellent taste.
- Skvorushka - an early ripe fruitful variety of zucchini. Fruits of an unusual gray-blue color, are stored for a long time.
- Tondo Di Piacenzo - mid-season variety with a compact bush, has an extended fruiting period. Fruits are roundish, dark green, excellent taste.
- Tsukesha - early ripening variety. Fruits are cylindrical, with a run, long, pattern in the form of light dots, with a thin bark, with a fruit weight of up to 0.7 kg. The keeping quality of the fruit is high, the flesh is white and crispy.
- Pharaoh - early ripening, fruitful, cold-resistant variety. The fruits are cylindrical, dark green, and in biological ripeness they are black-green. Fruit weight up to 1 kg. The pulp is yellow, juicy, tender, crunchy and very sweet. The fruits are stored throughout the winter.
Zucchini form weakly branching bushes 80–110 cm high. Their leaves are very large, heavily indented, sometimes with a silvery pattern. A small number of leaves on long petioles gives the impression of a sparse bush and allows insects to easily penetrate the flowers.
This is a heat-loving culture, the seeds of which germinate at a temperature of 12-14 degrees, and the optimum temperature for plant growth and development is at least 23-25 degrees.
For early production, zucchini is grown in seedlings in cups. To accelerate seed germination and get strong and friendly shoots, it is advisable to soak the seeds in a nutrient solution of a growth stimulator and germinate. The duration of the seedling period is 25-30 days. The main thing for getting good seedlings of this culture is compliance with temperature and humidity. From seeds sown in cold weather, weakened plants are obtained, which later give a low yield. They also do not tolerate a lack of water, which causes the ovary to fall off quickly. Plants do not tolerate shading and thickened seedlings poorly, while reducing the yield.
Zucchini squash is grown mainly in open ground with a temporary film shelter from the cold, because even short-term frosts down to -1 ° С cannot be tolerated by plants. The best results can be obtained by planting seedlings on fallow beds covered with black foil.
Care consists in regular watering, weeding, loosening, feeding, removing old leaves. Loosening should be carried out at least every 2 waterings.
With weak growth and development of the plant, it is necessary to feed with a solution of organic fertilizers (1 liter of mullein, 1 tablespoon of superphosphate and 0.5 glass of wood ash per 10 liters of water). Under each plant, you need to add 1.5 liters of such a dressing. During fruiting, such feeding should be done at least every week. And so that the weeds do not annoy the plants, it is better to mulch the bed with black plastic wrap.
Their further agricultural technology is exactly the same as that of zucchini. When growing them in a greenhouse, especially under a film cover, it is required in warm weather, to constantly ventilate, because plants can develop white rot and other fungal diseases.
Compared to ordinary white-fruited zucchini, zucchini greens ripen more slowly and are suitable for fresh consumption longer. Zelens are harvested at least twice a week, cutting them out with a knife with a stalk.
For raw consumption, remove ovaries 15–20 cm long (weight 130–150 g), and for culinary processing, remove larger greens with a length of 20–30 cm (weight 200–400 g). It is better to store them in plastic bags in the refrigerator.
And the fruits intended for obtaining seeds are harvested in the fall before the onset of frost and ripened in the light. When they turn yellow in winter, they are cut and seeds are selected.