Choice of varieties of cauliflower
There is a misconception that it is enough to have one cultivar or hybrid of cauliflower that is successful in a given area, and get a continuous harvest when it is planted at different times. For the conveyor supply of high quality products throughout the season, it is necessary to have 2-3 varieties or hybrids with different ripening periods.
There are varieties for early summer, summer and autumn cultivation. Their agrotechnical characteristics are most fully consistent with the conditions under which they are grown, which makes it possible to obtain high quality products with undeniable greater reliability.
The early ones have a short growing season, while they form relatively large, dense heads, sufficiently protected by leaves, and a low tendency to shoot arrows.
Summer and autumn ones have slightly more leaves in the rosette, but they are much larger than the leaves of early varieties and hybrids. Guaranteed head placement at temperatures above + 20 ° C, good protection by its leaves, low tendency to overgrowth, scattering of the head and its acquisition of a purple or yellow color - these are the most important characteristics that these varieties and hybrids must meet.
For central Russia, varieties and hybrids of cauliflower are used with a growing season of 80-120 days and a growing period of seedlings of 35-50 days. For the southern regions - varieties with a growing season of 170-270 days. The yield of cabbage in the open field is 2-3 kg / m2.
Early ripening varieties and hybrids form heads with a diameter of 1-2 cm after 65-75 days from sowing (60-65 days from germination), marketable heads - after 80-100 days and give seeds after 170-210 days from sowing. Late-ripening varieties form visible heads in 120-140 days, commercial varieties - in 140-160 days and give seeds in 270-300 days.
- Early ripening varieties and hybrids (80-110 days): Early Gribovskaya 1355, Snowflake, Emerald Cup, Summer Resident, Opaal, Snowball 123.
- Early maturing varieties and hybrids (115-125 days): MOVIR 74, Express MS, Amphora, Malimba F1, Marvel 4 seasons.
- Mid-early varieties and hybrids (126-135 days): Warranty, Domestic, Moscow canning, Snowdrift, Icing sugar, Purple, Celeste, Regent MS.
- Mid-late varieties and hybrids (146-159 days): Universal.
- Late-ripening varieties and hybrids (160-170 days): Adler winter, Adler spring, Sochi. They are grown in the southern regions, in the autumn-winter culture to obtain marketable heads by March-April.
Description of some varieties of cauliflower
- Icing - mid-early (92-96 days from germination to technical ripeness) variety. Recommended for summer gatherings, use in dietary meals, preparation of various side dishes, canning, freezing. Leaves are bluish green. The head is round, dense and compact, white, weighing 0.5-1.1 kg. The forming head is covered with leaves and does not turn yellow. It is appreciated for its high content of vitamins and minerals. Productivity 1.0-4.0 kg / m2.
- Summer resident - a variety with an extended fruiting period (80-100 days from germination to harvest), which is very convenient for growing in summer cottages. The leaves are green, with a slight waxy bloom. The head is round-flat, compact, white, weighing 0.6-1.0 kg. The forming head is covered with leaves and does not turn yellow. The variety is characterized by excellent taste, high sugar and ascorbic acid content. Recommended for long-term storage in the refrigerator, especially for freezing and further culinary processing in winter and spring. Productivity 2.5-3.0 kg / m².
- Snowdrift - mid-early (92-96 days from germination to technical ripeness) productive variety. The leaves are bluish-green. The head is round, compact and very dense, white in color, weighing 0.5-1.2 kg. The forming head is covered with leaves and does not turn yellow.The variety is characterized by excellent taste, high sugar and ascorbic acid content. Recommended for long-term storage in the refrigerator, especially for freezing and further culinary processing in winter and spring. Productivity 1.2-4.3 kg / m2.
- Snowball 123 - Medium early (92-96 days from germination to technical ripeness) variety. Forms snow-white dense round heads weighing 0.4-1 kg. Cauliflower is less cold-resistant than white cabbage; it is necessary to protect the planted seedlings from spring frosts. For the formation of good marketable heads, feeding with boron and molybdenum is necessary. The advantages of the variety are excellent taste and appearance of products, early maturity. Recommended for freezing. Productivity 1.0-4.0 kg / m2.